Wednesday, July 3, 2013

PASSWORD PROTECTED! (nice)

Today I was able to figure out how to use Flash and ActionScript to make a simple password protection for my video lectures. (This was one reason I wanted to use Flash as a video player for my lectures.... because I can control who gets to view/use the videos.)

I can't explain ALL of the details. But here are the basics of how I am "forcing" students to follow certain steps to progress through the tutorials with "minimal cheating"

When a student opens up a video lecture they might get a screen like this:
Here the student is typing the word "football" as a password

Then they are asked to type in today's password. If they do this WRONG they will be given the following screen and the program will end.
Apparently "football" was not the correct choice.
(although, it COULD be someday)
Of course, if they have the current password (from their teacher) then they will have access to the lesson.




Here is an outline of how I am controlling access to all four types of programs:

(1) To log into a video lesson the student needs the current "daily password", which they can only, theoretically, get from their teacher. I am able to change this password as frequently as I wish and it will instantly affect every one of my video lessons. [REMEMBER - The video lesson gives the students the notes and initial learning to pass the quizzler.]

(2) To log into an interactive lesson the student then needs the four digits that they obtain by completing the video lessons for the specific unit. In other words, they need to do #1 above to gain access to the interactive lessons. [REMEMBER - The interactive lessons give students the guided practice to pass the quizzler.]

(3) In order to do the puzzler they need to obtain the two LETTERS that go with their log-in name. In other words, they need to complete #2 themselves (or, they can have someone log in with THEIR user name and have THEM complete the interactive lessons for them.... to give them their own two letters.) [REMEMBER - The puzzler gives the students the independent practice to pass the quizzler.]

(4) Finally, in order to do the quizzler the students will need to be able to do the same thing they do to log into the puzzler above PLUS they need a separate "daily password" that I type in for them as they are sitting down with me at a school computer terminal. [REMEMBER - The quizzler is where the student finally gets their GRADE.]


NOTE DIRECTLY RELATED: I also did a BUNCH of work on learning the basics of Adobe Premiere (video editing) and some After Effects tricks. I also figured out how I am going to save raw video captures of my screen and get them in the correct format into Adobe Premiere so that I can MAKE my video lectures.

I lost track of how much time I used in the past week... I'll just give a lowball guess.

Time: 10 hours

No comments:

Post a Comment