Saturday, April 6, 2013

"COST" of Project to Date?

At the side of my blog I will be keeping a running total, mostly for my own edification, of the cost of this effort to "Flip my Physics Class". Until it is actually implemented in my Physics course it is all technically just one, big "hobby" for me.

Hobby: noun
(1) an activity done in one's leisure time for pleasure.
(2) something that you might enjoy doing for your career but that you don't actually get paid for.

So, until I get this WORKING in my classroom, it's just a hobby.

TIME SPENT:

I will count time spent only in which I am PRODUCTIVELY working on "flipping my classroom." This will include hours spent creating (videos, work sheets, lesson plans, interactive tutorials, web page design, etc.) as well as problem-solving (planning, outlining, figuring out how to get something done.) It will also include hours "training/learning/reading/searching" for skills directly related to flipping the classroom. The vast majority of my first 73 hours logged has been spent on acquiring skills, planning, and problem solving, with very little actual creating being done as of yet.

I will NOT count time that I am just thinking about the project or discussing the project with others. Therefore, I will NOT count ANY of the hours spent in the mere act of creating this blog.

By the way, anyone interested in pursuing a project like this, be aware that I am being a bit conservative on my estimate of time spent. Personally I find that I get involved in the "flow" of something like this and, before I know it, time just slips by unnoticed. So, add another 20% to 50% for the amount of time that seeps past because of flow.


MONEY:

I will be keeping a running total of cash spent out of pocket.

Colby's World Website - 3 years subscription = $123.40
Adobe Creative Cloud - 1 year subscription = $256
Action Script 3.0 & Flash Professional Books = $60
Bamboo Capture Pen/Tablet = $80
Blue Snowball iCE USB microphone = $70   (added June 27, 2013)
Camastia Studeo 8 = $185.95    (added Aug 4, 2013)
Two, Portable 500 GB hard drives = $148.77
One Month VPS hosting trial = $13.00
Two year upgrade of hosting account = $400

Total To Date: $1337.12

No comments:

Post a Comment