Sunday, April 7, 2013

My Website is Blocked to Students

I went in to work today to grade papers and such... And it was the first time I was able to try out my new website at school.

The GOOD news: I was able to fully access my site using my classroom computer and teacher account. This means that I can log in to my page and model how to take notes, view videos, and how to work on the virtual labs and tutorials to my students. I can also use my online curriculum in the classroom. This is actually very good news indeed.

The BAD news: I logged in using a STUDENT ACCOUNT and tried to view my web site and this is what I was given:


I am not immediately discouraged as this makes sense that "Websense" would automatically block all NEW websites until they have proven to NOT be harmful. I am hoping that it is possible for our District Office, as a customer, can request that www.colbysworld.net be placed on some sort of "exceptions" list so that students will have access to my web page WHILE AT SCHOOL.

The reason I need students to have access at school is as follows:
I KNOW that there will be SOME students out there who will ABSOLUTELY REFUSE to do ANYTHING at home, regardless of the effect on their grade or the "fun" level involved. It is IMPERITAVE that I be able to provide access for these students AT SCHOOL.

I am planning on going into the computer lab about EVERY OTHER WEEK for students to work on these online tutorials and puzzlers DURING CLASS TIME. Also: I would like to have OFFICE HOURS every other week in the computer lab for students to work on tutorials with my help.

Status: I wrote an email to one of the technology peoples at the district office to see if it is possible to get students access to my website. I am hopeful that this can be done.

Time: 1/2 hour (at least)

No comments:

Post a Comment