Sunday, April 28, 2013

"Student Objectives" Page Added

I took a nap this afternoon and when I awoke I realized that I was missing one key element to my online lessons/activities...

It is generally a good idea to begin each with a brief listing of the OBJECTIVES that the students will be completing during the lesson/activity. The objectives give the student some focus. In "Direct Instruction" we also learn that it is important to have the students interact with the objective a bit to see if they are actually "paying attention."

So I moved "SceneOne" down to "SceneTwo"....

So now my standard opening scenes will go like this:
  First: Log In page (Scene = 0)
  Second: Objective Page (Scene/page = 1)
  Third: First actual page of the activity/lab (Scene/page = 2)


The opening of the Objective's Page gives the objective (of course!)


Then the student hits "play" or "enter" and the next screen is a question about the objective, to which the student must type in a very short answer. If the answer is incorrect the student gets an error sound and they can try again, or press "Rewind" to reread the objective again.


Once the student gets the first question correct there can be a second question (if required)


And after answering both questions the student finally starts the activity... at scene/page 2.

Time: 2 hours

No comments:

Post a Comment