Sunday, April 7, 2013

Starting My First Unit Lessons (U3)

I actually started WORKING on a unit today!

I decided that I needed to have an actual topic to FOCUS on so that I can go through the real steps that it will take to implement my plan. If I can get through one complete unit, with all of its notes, videos, interactive tutorials, and the final "interactive puzzler" then I know I've got something that can work.

I have chosen to start with UNIT THREE: Newton's First Law of Motion. Contrary to the title, it has the least to do with measurement of actual MOTION, making it easier to make tutorials for. It also is ripe with possible manipulatives and diagrams. Also, I wanted to put at least one complete unit under my belt prior to tackling Unit One, which the students will actually see first.

What I worked on today was the first set of notes. (This unit will have two sets of notes when completed)

The plan is to post the, mostly completed, notes on the website in the form of .pdf files. There will be a few gaps and holes throughout the notes. The student then prints up the worksheet and then fills in the gaps as he watches the video(s).

The rectangular boxes are the actual, important notes. The circle gears (with the brains inside) are icons that stand for "Hey! This is how you remember this!" I expect most of the writing to be done on the right side of the page.

At the bottom/left you will notice four numbered boxes and then two blank boxes. This is the "key" for this page of notes. While the student is watching the video he will be given the four letters to fill in the four numbered boxes. By the time he has completed the notes he should have all four boxes filled in. This is his "key" or "password" to unlock the associated "virtual lab"/"interactive tutorial" that goes along with these notes.

More about this key as my plan unfolds. For now lets just say it is part of how I will hold the students accountable for doing their homework. It is part of their semester grade.

Time: 4 hours

No comments:

Post a Comment