Sunday, March 31, 2013

Colby's World - Goes LIVE (sort of)

Here is my web site that I am planning on hosting all of my content on:

www.colbysworld.net


I have decided to PAY for my OWN web hosting space. The benefits compared to other options is just too great.

Here are options I decided AGAINST:
(1) Getting a FREE "teacher page" - very limited, and often has adds and such
(2) District Web Page - limited as well (very simple interface that does calendars and posts homework assignments, teacher blogs... but does NO video posting, and NO Flash files. Also would be cumbersome and slow to use IF I am planning on doing a LOT of online content.)
(3) Adobe Creative Cloud's built in "Business Catalyst" server - The Hosting Service that comes with creative cloud is an introductory service with limits (only 100 mb of TOTAL file space on the server) To get anything real useful you have to pay for the $12 and above services (which seams REALLY expensive to me.) NOTE: I am referring to the HOSTING service only as being expensive. I STILL recommend the actual Creative Cloud subscription to use Adobe's software.

Here is what I HAVE decided to go with:

A web hosting service called "FatCow.com"

LEFT: Control Panel, RIGHT: my new web page www.colbysworld.net

I am sure the deals change often, so the details might be different if you decide to subscribe. There was some sort of "Easter Sale" this weekend. I signed up for THREE YEARS at a price of $3.15 per month. Plus I paid for one year of privacy on my domain name ($9.95) although I don't know if I will keep that up after the year is out. It came with one year free domain name, unlimited upload space and unlimited bandwidth. Total cost = $123.40 for three years.

So far the FTP service on fatcow.com works well with the Adobe Muse application. (I just make changes on Muse and then click on "upload to FTP" and, a minute later, the files are all up-to-date.)

Cost: $123.40
Time: 2 hours

No comments:

Post a Comment