Saturday, March 23, 2013

Adobe Photoshop - getting started

The Foundations Game Design with ActionScript 3.0 book also includes tutorials on Photoshop.

The whole purpose of chapter two is for the user to create some image files to be used later (in Chapter Three) to program a simple game.

In the PAST I have probably used Photoshop for a grand total of maybe 25 hours. I did not use any tutorials and I basically just "poked my way around."  It was NOT very effective, but it got the job done.

In contrast: chapter two of this book is a MORE EFFECTIVE MEANS of getting a good, basic working knowledge of Photoshop, especially for creating simple game graphics.

Chapter two describes various tools (pen tool, convert point tool, rectangle tool, ellipse tool, gradient tool, paint bucket tool, type tool, path/direct select tools, and rectangular marquee tool.) It also goes into: transform controls, color controls, layers, opacity/color stops, paths panel, style panel, emboss/bevel layer effect, turning vector shapes into pixels, and chaining/grouping layers. Finally, it takes the user through how to save a .png file of an image, which is important for later importing into a Flash (.swf) file. (Flash files are used to play the AcionScript 3.0 programs/games/activities that I would like to make for my Physics class.)


For example, here is the .png file that I created from scratch by following the instructions in chapter two:

Later this weekend I plan on completing chapter two, which will have me create two more image files: a character (that looks like a cat), and a set of six button images (which will later be programmed to control the motion of the cat?)

Time: 1.5 hours

No comments:

Post a Comment