Friday, March 29, 2013

Adobe Illustrator - Getting Started

Chapter 7 of the Game Design Book is entitled "Making Games" and it has you put together a complete game.

The first half of the chapter is dedicated to creating a set of game graphics using Adobe Illustrator. (It does this in a similar way that it did in Chapter Two with Adobe Photoshop.)

Adobe Illustrator is a VECTOR BASED graphics program whereas Photoshop is a pixel-based program. Basically, it is easier to GO BACK AND MAKE CHANGES in an Illustrator file because "effects" are not layered one-on-top-of-another as they are in Photoshop. (When you go "back" in the "history" list of a Photoshop file it UNDOES EVERYTHING that you did ahead of that time. In Illustrator you can go "back" and, for example, change the color of my character's eyes instantly without effecting anything else about he character... You can go back and change the shading/color of the bomb without having to delete the red/yellow sparkler effect that I made AFTER I shaded the bomb the last time.)

I am even less familiar with Illustrator than I was with Photoshop. I like what I saw and am looking forward to using this program to create much of my imagery for my Flash applications.

Here is what I produced in about four hours of learning/practice with Illustrator:






Time: 4 hours

No comments:

Post a Comment