Thursday, March 28, 2013

Article - Supporting Classroom Gadget Use

There was an article in today's newspaper that I tracked down off the internet and wanted to share. It is from New Jersey and describes how more educators are allowing students to use electronic devices, such as cell phones, laptops, and even Nintendo DSIs, in the classroom. Not only that, but they are ENCOURAGING their use.

Here are some relevant quotes:
"As such, more teachers are incorporating Internet-based programs, applications and videos into their lesson plans, the 21st-century equivalent of the chalk and blackboard."
This is something like I am trying to implement as I feel that there will be some overlap between at-home use of the digital files that I am creating, and IN SCHOOL use. I will most-likely show SOME of my videos in my own classroom, as well as having students go to the computer lab to access the videos while they wear headphones. I will want to do something similar with the "interactive" programs that I wish to create in Adobe Flash format.
“They are turning to this as a potential model for giving students and teachers what’s called a one-to-one opportunity for digital learning, where every teacher and student has a device,”

Exactly what I was thinking with providing videos and interactive programs... Students in my class will have more "one-on-one" interaction with the material. Books, worksheets, and pre-made science videos just won't do the job.

No comments:

Post a Comment