Sunday, March 24, 2013

ActionScript 3.0 - second practice program

Today was the second day working in the book, Foundation Game Design with ActionScript 3.0. I am up to page 207.

I spent a number of hours (a) Completing Chapter Two, where I used Photoshop to draw six button images and a cat-looking character and (b) Completing Chapter Three, where I learned how to place these items together in a Flash file (as sprites) and then programmed them with some simple controls.

Here is a snapshot of the Flash file in action, with the ActionScript editor to the right:

This is basically a cook-book tutorial. Chapter Three describes action handlers, functions, variables, sprites, conditional operators (if/then statements), mouse events, object property manipulation and more.

In my little program (seen above) the cat "character" is manipulated using the buttons. The user can move it up and down, make him bigger/smaller, make him disappear/reappear, and rotate.

Remember:
(1) Every single piece of artwork was drawn by me, following the Photoshop tutorial (chapter two of the book)
(2) The purpose was NOT just to create a cat game... The purpose of the programming is to teach me a little bit about how ActionScript 3.0 works. (some day I hope to use ActionScript 3.0 and Flash to create some Physics simulations for my students to use online.)

Time = 5 hours

No comments:

Post a Comment