Saturday, March 23, 2013

Adobe Flash Builder - getting started

My two game-maker books came in the mail today and I just could NOT wait to dig right in.

After about four hours I have progressed through the first 100 pages of "Foundation Game Design with ActionScript 3.0"  It is a very very good book and pretty easy to read.

Here is a quote...

"This book assumes that you haven't had any experience making graphics for games or any experience with computer programming. You'll go step-by-step journey through these fascinating worlds."

The author also mentions how this book was the source for three high school classes in game design. I believe that sums it up nicely. It is written at about a high school level and easy to follow. What makes it actually WORK is that you HAVE YOUR PROGRAM(S) OPEN while you read the book and you actually DO the activities as described. (I also high-light and take some notes while I go through the text so I can find the information easily when I need it.)

In chapter one you write some basic code (using Adobe Flash Builder program) and learn the basics of programming.

Here is an example of the little bit of code written:


The reason this takes a full chapter is because the author does a very good job of EXPLAINING just what all of the parts of the code do as well as some of the major menus/controls of the Flash Builder program itself. It is the foundation for the rest of the book. (The reason the book is so thick is because it is chock full of images to show exactly what the user is to do.)

Time: 2.5 hours

No comments:

Post a Comment