Friday, March 15, 2013

Planning: Part I - Student Access


Next year our district office will allow teachers to publish web pages on their server. So part of my plan is to make a web page for my students and have it hosted by the district office. (In other words: I won’t be using any of the various outside resources available for teachers to create relatively simple classroom pages. This should allow me to have greater creative control.)
Problem: Our student’s accounts have content control blocking software which limits access to various online resources. Of particular note: students may not access video servers (YouTube, Vimeo, etc) or Blog sites while on campus.

Partial Solution: I can upload my videos onto our district server for students to access. However, there is currently an upload limit of 50mb per file. This will limit video sizes to only around 3 to 5 minutes! Not a very long lecture, is it? My plan: I expect to use a video server for longer files (Vimeo?) that students can access at home… and I will use the district server for the shorter files, that students may access at school and during class time*.

*I have this idea of implementing differentiated instruction... I will take my class to the computer lab periodically... Those students that have NOT completed homework will catch up during lab time, while the students who ARE on track will move forward with other, possibly more fun activities.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment