Monday, March 18, 2013

Adobe Flash Professional CS6 - getting started

I just couldn’t wait for Spring break in order to try out this application. (So, I downloaded and installed it tonight!)

Adobe Flash Professional CS6 is used to create Adobe swf files (aka: flash files) that allows one to create animations, interactive menus, and, yes, even games. I should be able to "publish" my swf files along with my web page so they can be run in a student's browser.
I completed the first tutorial in about two hours. It has you create a file where you make a simple animation (with click-and-drag way-points to program the motion) and a “replay” button.

Here is a quote from the beginning of the tutorial:
Prior experience working with Flash Professional CS5 is not required. This introductory article provides all the steps you need to get started. Although this sample project includes some ActionScript code, previous knowledge of programming is not necessary.
ActionScript code is a programming language that is used inside a flash file. As the above quote suggests, it is not necessary to understand programming to make some basic flash files. (Just to get an idea, for those of you who might be interesting in doing some scripting, here is a video tutorial about ActionScript.)

My hope is that I will be able to create some very simple, interactive demonstrations for my physics students to manipulate. For example: Two different vehicles on a road with two buildings in the background. The students click/drag the speed of the second car and hit “play” and watch the cars race together. The time for the cars to reach each building are displayed and the students can answer various questions about time –vs- speed/distance. (that was just a rough idea)

The list price of this application is $200 for educators/students and retails at $700 for non-educators. Unlimited use is included with my subscription to Adobe Creative Cloud.
Conclusion: I was very pleased with what I saw today. I think this will work for my project! I am sure you will be seeing more about this application later in my blog.
Time: 3.5 hrs

No comments:

Post a Comment