Friday, March 15, 2013

What Do I Have So Far?


Before I get started I think I should share a little about my background. In other words: what do I have right now to work with?

(1) I am certified in Explicit Direct Instruction strategies.

(2) I have a BS degree in Engineering Physics with an emphasis on digital electronics. (I was a bit of a computer geek in college)

(3) In the 1990’s I learned a bit of HTML (you basically HAD to if you wanted to post anything on the Internet back then!)

(4) About 10 years ago I purchased a suite of Adobe programs with an educator’s discount (I think it cost about $350): Adobe Premiere, After Effects, Illustrator, Photoshop, and a full version of Acrobat. I used these to make various items for my classroom: worksheets, interactive pdf files, videos, and a few DVDs.

(5) I have some basic computer programming skills (classes in high school, college, and as a hobby) I have used Visual Basic to create some tools to use in my classroom.

(6) For six years now my class grading policy has been strongly influenced by the teachings of Dr. Doug Reeves. I believe in giving students MULTIPLE CHANCES for success in proving that they have learned the content required. Students are given each quiz two times in class, and then they can also make them up outside of class time (until the last week of the semester) Students can re-write lab conclusions until they succeed. I also give my final exam twice to give students multiple chances of passing each section. (I have multiple versions of each quiz and two full versions of the final.)

(7) Collaboration – I am at a school site (and in a school district) that promotes collaboration amongst its teachers. (I feel sorry for those of you who must teach in isolation, with no help from colleagues)

(8) Hardware - At home I have a fairly powerful Windows 7 gaming laptop (great graphics card, HDMI outputs, but the 1TB hard drive is a bit slow for video editing purposes.) I have a Sony HDR-CX190 Handycam for video filming. My classroom has a dedicated (mounted) LCD projector and (7-year-old) Windows computer. The classroom also has a Mobi Pad, which is a wireless remote control/writing pad for the computer. The pad uses Intewrite Workspace Software which allows me to write, highlight, cut/paste, open web pages, advance powerpoint slides, shade, type, as well as record video right off of the computer screen.

Well, that’s what I have to work with so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment