Wednesday, March 27, 2013

More programming tutorials & a new Bamboo

First:

Yesterday the new "Wacom Bamboo Pen/Tablet" arrived and I was very excited. After I installed it my daughter and I were very excited to try it out. It is a very slender/light, texturized writing surface attached to my laptop (USB port or WiFi.). It also has a pressure sensitive, battery-less pen. This adds some much-enjoyed depth and feel to the control as I "create" with it. For example: when simulating a "felt tip pen" the pen will stop and "soak" into the computer screen if I stop writing and it will also soak faster if I press the pen harder. The "color pencil" will have nice light/medium/dark shades, accompanied by thin/medium/thick pen strokes that match the amount of pen pressure the drawer is using at the time. Very interesting. I am looking forward to working with this tool in the months to come.

Second:

When I was not "playing around" with my new pen/tablet I was working forward in the Game Design book. I am now up to page 265. Chapter four has the user create a numbers guessing game. It introduces the reader to: text field formatting, text field input/output, string manipulation, modularizing, variable types, key press listeners, if/else-if/else decision making, tracking long-term game status, random number generation, and integers/ceiling/floor cutoffs. I ended in the middle of animated button implementation. (The buttons need to visually react when the "player" hovers the mouse over them or presses them.)

Here is a snapshot of the latest practice:


Time: 4 hours

No comments:

Post a Comment