Monday, August 5, 2013

Hard Drive Backup Protection

It is time I invest in some hard drive backup protection.

Why: Because of the amount of time I am investing in my files.... Especially the video files themselves.... Rough estimate for the next couple years: 30 minutes of video per lecture. x 4 lectures per Unit. x 10 Units (at least!) x 1 hour (on average) of production time per 1 minute of video produced = 1,200 hours of my hard-spent time on this computer. Just to create my videos. (Does not count time for programming and planning, and testing...)

THAT.... Is a LOT of time and effort.... personal sweat..... at cost to myself and my family....
That could be lost if my laptop suddenly stops working.

One little virus... or hardware hiccup.... and its all gone. (With only the rough, final edits, stored on my website.)

That is almost frightening.

To that end, I have decided to purchase TWO, smaller-sized, portable USB hard drives that are completely different models. My plan is to alternate them... Every couple of weeks I will swap drives for backup. This will help in a couple ways: (1) I will have THREE copies of most of my files at any time. (2) If I get a virus on my computer it might only take out ONE of the back-up drives.  Also, every set of hard drive reviews I look at have SOMEONE claiming that their portable hard drive stopped working after only a month or two.... Even a "better" (read, more expensive) drive has no guarantee of working.

So... Two, relatively inexpensive drives instead of one, larger, more expensive drive. It might be more of a hassle to have two backup drives, but I feel safer that way.

Here are the two I have settled on:

(1) Toshiba Canvio 500GB USB Basics Portable Hard Drive - It has backup software, software encryption, and is a relatively simple drive. $59.99 (free shipping)

(2) BUFFALO Ministation Extreme 500GB USB 3 Portable Hard Drive - Military Spec Drop Protection, integrated cable management, and hardware encryption. $78.24 (free shipping)

Cost: $148.77
Time: 1 hour

No comments:

Post a Comment