Wednesday, August 28, 2013

THIRD/FOURTH DAY IN CLASS

Well.... there were complications.

Videos were freezing.... during download.... Especially during 1st and 2nd period.

I contacted my webpage provider (fatcow.com) and we eventually determined that..... My account is on a SHARED server which is not always going to be adequate for 30+ students simultaneously downloading/streaming videos.... It becomes a big problem during "peak hours" of internet use... such as the middle of the weekday....

I have a back-up plan of saving a copy of my website on the SCHOOL NETWORK HARD DRIVE.... However, that has its own problems.... I won't get into the details.. but it involves re-coding my Flash files AND having TWO versions of my MUSE webpage files..... Two consequences would be that my online site and the local network site would not be IDENTICLE.... It would be near impossible to make identical changes simultaneously every time I made a change. The other consequence would be that it would require quite a bit MORE WORK for me to keep up with BOTH the Network and the Online versions.

I am going to try something else for a while.... And, yes, it costs more money....
I paid $13 for ONE MONTH of VSP hosting. Basically I will be getting 1/4th of a server instead of sharing one server with 30 or 50 other clients.


Here is an image of me transferring just my Unit 1 video files over to the NEW SITE. This whole process will take a couple hours.... I need to upload my .swf files, and my MUSE webpage files.

Fatcow.com will let me keep the same domain name.... they are in the process of transferring it as I type this... Hopefully it will be fully functional by tomorrow so I can retry with my Honors class.

Time = 2 hrs
Cost = $13

No comments:

Post a Comment