Saturday, June 22, 2013

Question-Maker Improved

After making four questions to work in the "Puzzler" I have moved back to my first interactive activity (Unit3.1).  Having gained much experience with the Puzzler I was able to make a few changes to Unit3.1 code.

Most Importantly: By taking advantage of using tags in COMMENTS it will make it possible for me to more easily TRANSFER A SINGLE QUESTION DIRECTLY amongst various programs.

This means that, after spending three-to-eight hours creating a single interactive question I can then duplicate it in other forms:
(a) Interactive Activities (ie: Unit3.1) for GUIDED PRACTICE
(b) Puzzlers for INDEPENDANT PRACTICE
and
(c) Quizzlers for TESTING (formative assessments)

First: Here is a frame of my newest question that I added to Unit3.1

New elements that were added into this question were the SIGMA (sum) elements. This is my first try at having students create equations (using variables such as Fg) and then SOLVING them (plugging in the numbers) using my format above. I have also added three text elements for sub-text. (In the scene above there is Output2.text = "Step II Write the equations...", Output3.text = " = ______ + ______" and Output4.text = "=________=")

But here is where the big improvements were made..... An example of some of the code. Pay attention to the COMMENTS, which are marked by "//" and are in green

If I choose I may take this whole 1200 lines of code for this scene/question and copy it over to the Quizzler for use in that progam...

Everything marked "// (Q)" is for the Quizzler program. All I have to do is delete the comment tags "// (Q)" from the front of these lines and it will allow the question to work within the Quizzler.

Everything marked "// UNIT ONLY" is for the Unit programs (like Unit3.1).  I would go back and MOVE the comment tag "// UNIT ONLY" to the FRONT of these program lines to make it work within the Quizzler.

Examples of how I might need this:

() Line 380 and 381 - The Quizzler does not automatically make the Help button available to the students. Certain requirements must be met. However, line 382 and 383 make the Help button available immediately to students if this is the Unit3.1 interactive program.

() Line 389 and 390 - The Quizzler only makes the FastForward button available to the students if they have enough "skip ahead" points available during the Quizzler. But in Unit3.1 (lines 397 to 401) the Fast Forward button is "clickable" if the student is not currently on their MAXIMUM scene number.... Students are allowed to fast forward past scenes if they have completed this assignment before, or if they have skipped BACKWARD scenes and wish to skip AHEAD again to their current MAXIMUM scene.

() Line 403 etc. - There is a Score Bar while using the Quizzler (which requires a whole lot of coding/coordination in that program to make the various score effects, music, etc) but there is NO score bar while the question is used in Unit3.1 (The Units have PAGE NUMBERS instead of score bars.)

In the end, I am trying to make my code as RE-USABLE as possible. This will allow me get the biggest "bang for the buck" out of each of my interactive scenes/questions.

Time used: 8 hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment